Pages

Poverty of Spirit

Thursday, December 22, 2016

[I was commissioned to write a little thought about Christmas for one of our church's social media outlets, which I'm re-posting here. Thanks, Kathi, for forcing my hand to write what God's been teaching me in this season!]

This time of year, we give a lot of mental energy to gifts. We make lists of things to buy for family, drop subtle hints about things we may like to receive, stalk Pinterest for cute teacher gifts, make generous financial gifts to worthy nonprofits, and generally drain our bank accounts trying to make sure everyone in our world feels loved. To be clear, I love the exchange of presents - there is nothing like the perfect gift to make you feel known and treasured, supported and seen.
And, if spirituality is part of your normal life, you probably turn your attention to the precious gift we were given on Christmas. God's very son, wrapped in humility, was given to us. There is no gift quite like it - both universally appealing and perfectly personal. The Incarnation, Divinity gifted into our very human experience, is surely worth extra mediation during this season.
This year, however, a lot of my thoughts and prayers have been centered around the gifts that I bring to the cradle. Every  Christmas Eve, we bake a birthday cake, light a candle and gather in the quiet to sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. It is a sweet, small way to celebrate the baby who right-sized the world. I want to honor this newborn King with precious, lavish, beautiful gifts - like the wise men, I want to approach Christ with gifts fit for royalty.
But, if I'm being quite honest, I don't feel like I have much to offer. I can be overwhelmingly selfish, impatient, controlling and distant. And even when my sinfulness relents, the fruit in my life still seems too meager to present to a King.
But my Emmanuel keeps reminding me of this truth:
"For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
    you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." Psalm 51
The only gift Christ desires is me ... just as I am. He doesn't want a magnificently orchestrated holiday or a giant donation or perfect patience with my kids. He doesn't want me to muster up holiness or to strive for success - my brokenness and desperation for His presence are the perfect gift. This truth has me crying every time I listen to 'Little Drummer Boy,' because I feel insufficient in the same way, approaching Jesus with only a (metaphorical) drum and not much skill. But, miraculously, my smallness and poverty of spirit are a gift that makes Him smile.
So gift yourself to Jesus afresh today. Set down the piping bag, drive home from the mall, turn off Mariah Carey. Bring your entirety, both sinner and saint, to the cradle. Your empty hands and expectant heart are the greatest gift you can give this Christmas.

1 comments:

  1. Love this, Emily! Beautifully written and poignantly clear - cuts right to the heart in a beautiful, challenging, meaningful and convicting way! Thank you for this sweet and gentle reminder!

    ReplyDelete

 

Likeness Lessons All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger